Our families are the most important possession and we do anything to keep them safe. First we make sure the homes are safe from any electrical danger. According to Electrician Brisbane Northside, electrical fires account for more than 51,000 home fires each year’s causing close to 500 deaths and more than 1,400 injuries. Fires resulting from electrical fault accounts for more than $1.3 billion in property damage.
Electrician Brisbane reports that electrical receptacles are involved in 5,300 fires every year, causing 40 deaths and more than 100 consumer injuries.
Here are some signs to look for that could lead to an electrical fire:
Smell burning plastic and vinyl
If you smell brining plastic or vinyl or anything electrical burning, call an electrician immediately. It can help you catch a fire before it break because most signs of electrical fires are odorless.
Having the wrong circuit breaker installed can be dangerous. For instance, lots of homeowners replace standard 15-amp circuit breakers with a 20-amp breaker for higher, however in realty these 20 amp breakers are meant for major appliances.
Higher rating on the lower amp circuit ill cause overloads and breaker will not trip, a likelihood of overheating and eventually electrical fire.
Do you keep resetting your circuit breaker? This means it’s overloaded and not working properly and should be replaced.
An older home, you may notice certain lights flickering or dimming, especially after installing modern appliance (microwave ovens, computers) this can mean an electrical issue or a short.
When you turn on home appliance, lamp, and you hear buzzing or a slight shock/buzz that means something is wrong and you need to unplug the appliance and call your electrician.
The electrical outlets should never be hot or warm at a touch, buzzing or have black marks on them. Before moving to a new home have a professional electrician to inspect the home wiring. Over time wires become loose and insulation can wear off, causing shorts and ground fault.
Proper ground fault
All outlets near sinks, tubs need to have a working ground fault circuit interrupters outlet. These a requirement by code and made to trip anytime they come in contact with water. They are easily identifiable (square appearance and two reset button). If your still have the traditional outlets in your kitchen and bathrooms an Electrician can replace them with GFCI outlets.
Why hire a licensed electrician?
If you ever did your own electrical work in your house, check with a professional electrician to inspect your electrical system.
For homeowners who built in the 1960s and 1970s, and your house has aluminum wiring. You need to redo the wiring as aluminum wiring expands and contracts with outside temperature changes leading to loose connections and can be serous fire hazard. Replacing with copper wiring should be done as soon as possible.
In a nutshell, if any if the above applies to your home, call a licensed and certified electrician. They can inspect your system and make recommendation to keep your home is safe.